Achieving optimal anastomosis is one of the most critical jobs in Colorectal surgeries. Many colectomies are at “high risk” for leaks due to poor blood supply, fragile or inflamed tissues, or difficult anatomy.
Risk of anastomotic leaks
Increase the clinical and economic burden511
Anastomotic leaks place a huge burden on patient lives and the global economy. Research shows anastomotic leaks result in 9,500 additional in-patient days and $28.6 million in additional costs per 1,000 patients undergoing Colorectal surgery.511Download clinical paper for more details picture_as_pdf
Controlled Tissue Compression
For a secure anastomosis and effective perfusion
The Ethicon Circular Stapler with its Controlled Tissue Compression and Adjustable Height Staple technology is designed to deliver optimal compression necessary for a secure anastomosis and effective perfusion to promote healing.Learn more about the benefit of controlled tissue compression picture_as_pdf
Secure staple formation
Achieve optimal performance
Watch a video showing Dr. Sonia Ramamoorthy from the University of California San Diego Medical Center experience optimal staple formation while performing a sigmoid resection anastomosis.Explore more details about Ethicon Circular Staplers open_in_new
Reduced staple line leakage
Superior staple formation compared with AutoSuture DST Series GIA
PROXIMATE® Linear Cutters featuring a unique Cam Mechanism and tissue retention pin produce the tightest closed staple height, providing fewer malformed staples than AutoSuture DST Series GIA.* It also helps reduce staple line leakage compared to the AutoSuture DST Series GIA.†Learn more about PROXIMATE® Linear Cutters open_in_new
Ethicon Linear Cutter
Superior seal and consistent compression
Designed with innovative 3-D staple technology, the Ethicon Linear Cutterβ produces uniform tissue compression within the staple line to reduce the risk of staple line leakage and bleeding,¥ delivering superior hemostasisǁ compared to AutoSuture DST Series GIA.ǁLearn more about Ethicon Linear Cutterβ open_in_new
Plot of the paired difference in hemostasis scores.‡
ECHELON FLEX™ GST System
A better grip on movement
ECHELON FLEX™ GST System features a closed channel design, Gripping Surface Technology and the stability of a powered platform, providing a reliable solution for side-to-side anastomosis.Learn more about ECHELON FLEX™ GST System open_in_new
- * Benchtop testing in porcine tissue vs AutoSuture DST Series GIA (GIA8038S) at 2mm-5mm thickness range (p<0.001).
- † Benchtop testing of luminal leak pressure in an excised pre-clinical tissue model.
- ‡ The height of the bar at zero indicates the number of identical scores between the two instruments. Bars to the left in green indicate score differences that favor NTLC75 instrument firings. The NTLC75 instrument firings had statistically improved hemostasis compared to the GIA™.
- β ETHICON ENDO-SURGERY™ Linear Cutters (NTLC55 & NTLC75)
- ¥ Benchtop testing of luminal leak pressure in an excised animal tissue model. Hemostasis assessment based on visual inspection of vessels after transection in an animate porcine model.
- ǁ Assessment based on visual inspection of vessels after transection in an animate porcine model compared to the Autosuture DST Series GIA (GIA8038S) and Frankenmann Chex Linear Cutter (LC80B).