You might think that with the advent of minimally invasive techniques in gynecological surgery, the number of total abdominal hysterectomies would have decreased significantly. Yet more than half of the hysterectomies performed in the U.S. are still total abdominal hysterectomies.33 This is despite the fact that minimally invasive surgeries for both vaginal and laparoscopic approaches offer the surgeon a variety of options. Under the right circumstances, they allow surgeons to make smaller incisions, reduce trauma, lower the risk of infection and decrease operative time while providing real benefits to the patient by reducing hospital stays, with fewer complications and less scarring.32
That's why at Ethicon, we're committed to working with gynecologists to bring to light the latest innovations and expand their toolset for a variety of procedural approaches. Along with offering world-class training and innovative products, we hope to reach the gynecology community and lead the charge for minimally invasive options.
We understand that no one device or approach will fit every individual case. It's never that simple. Because of this, we believe in providing you with the devices and training to support you in your choice of surgical approach to gynecology.
Our range of devices for the gynecological surgeon includes:
- Energy Technology including HARMONIC® and ENSEAL® Devices. HARMONIC Devices for precise and multi-functional applications and ENSEAL Devices for large vessel sealing. Both accomplish this with minimal thermal tissue damage.
- Endoscopic Devices like our LAPRA-TY® Suture Clip to assist in the closure of the vaginal cuff in total laparoscopic hysterectomy or closure of the myometrium after laparoscopic myomectomy.
- Stapling Technology featuring the ECHELON FLEX™ 45 Stapler which delivers enhanced system-wide compression for consistent staple formation along the entire staple line, while also offering natural articulation.
- Access Devices, featuring the ENDOPATH® XCEL™ Bladeless Tip Trocars that offer high-performance and abdominal wall retention for stability.
- GYN Surgery Solutions featuring the GYNECARE INTERCEED® Absorbable Adhesion Barrier for helping reduce the incidence and severity of postsurgical adhesion formation.
Take a closer look at these and other devices by clicking on one of the procedures to the left.
Ethicon and AIMIS Corporate Strategic Alliance
Ethicon and AIMIS (American Institute of Minimally Invasive Surgery) have formed a strategic alliance to advance minimally invasive surgery in the area of women's health. The mission of AIMIS is "to develop and designate affiliates and centers of excellence dedicated to minimally invasive procedures that safely benefit patients while reducing healthcare costs."
Please visit the AIMIS website to learn more about the benefits of membership to physicians and hospitals in this organization.