As the new science around obesity emerges, it is important to help patients have the best chance possible to live a healthy and productive life. It is extremely important to understand that it is not just a case of having stronger willpower.
Here are a few suggestions –
- As a HealthCare Professional treating obese patients, take the time to discuss their condition.
- Make sure that they understand that they are obese, not just overweight, and that obesity requires action.
- Familiarize yourself with treatment options and provide your patients with suggestions.
- Connect with a local weight loss center, or Bariatrician, to provide your patients with more resources.
- Connect with a local surgeon to understand pre and post op care for this patient, and how to work together with the surgeon to best serve your patients.
- Continue to stay connected and educated on the disease of obesity.